Name: Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19
Affects: Respiratory System
Transmission: Through person-to-person contact and respiratory droplets primarily via coughing / sneezing and other direct contact with already infected persons.
Symptoms: Fever, cough and shortness of breath and tiredness. Can take between 2 to 14 days (possibly longer) to develop. Affected persons can also be asymptomatic.
For assistance call the Malta Public Health Authority on freephone 111 or +356 2132 4086.
How to protect yourself and minimise transmission:
- Wash your hands thoroughly for a minimum of twenty (20) seconds
- Whenever possible, make sure to keep at least one (1), if possible two (2) metre/s distance from other people
- Make use of alcohol-based hand sanitising disinfectants
- Make sure to cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- If this is not possible, use the inner side of your flexed elbow to cover your nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing
- Dispose of used tissues immediately and appropriately
- Avoid coughing or sneezing in your hands as this will potentially cross-contaminate other people / objects in the vicinity
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth prior to washing your hands